Sunday, March 25, 2012

Jingle Trucks

Hello Family and Friends,

I'd like to start this bog by saying all is well here. The news, I'm sure, has been interesting to watch lately-- I'm fine over here and unless the mermites bring me down, I'll be ok.

The scene from the air is quite desolate (I'm told). Swirling coffee colored winds sweeping across the smudgy brown desert breaking only occasionally against tan shaded foothills before continuing along towards the open emptiness of yet more vast desert all devoid of tints other way, you guessed it, brown. On days when the air is stagnant, hanging heavy over the low planted fields of poppy, the sky is filled with a dirty film that glides over the horizon and extends to the far reaches of the ancient desert. All is utterly devoid of color.

It's too easy to retreat into the cynicism of others and join as the complaints range loud and often, calling the place a wasteland. It could be true. There's not much about the surrounding area that I can honestly say I find appealing or desire as a home for myself but even in the most rainbow-lacking of locales people find a way to add personality!

For today's theme I thought I'd share the quirkiness we've come to call the 'Jingle Truck'. Jingle trucks, I've found, are the Afghans' way of returning color and splendor to a scene otherwise lacking of either. Like in the states where the number one form of goods transportation is commercial truck, this place is no different. Trucks are constantly passing through delivering foods and supplies and their drivers take special care to 'doll up' the interior/exterior cabs.

Jingles take on all forms. They have fringe on the frames of their windshields and tassels on their mirrors. They are red and gold and purple and have flags and pennants blazing from the sides. Some even have constant theme music playing in repeated 10 second tracks.  In essence, Jingles are as varied as he men that drive them.  And the drivers are proud! They smile valiantly if they catch you staring. They beam as they drive by a crowd of rubberneckers huddled around a bus stop. And if you do as I do and wave to the more elaborate Jingles, they will, without hesitation, return the gesture with a blaring sense of victory.

I think, what wonder! To be in a land so deprived of the color spectrum and worn down by a ten year war yet still find such a unique and descriptive way of expressing pride alongside vivid personality. I was inspired!

I have decided that we too will have a Jingle! The crew has agreed unequivocally that if we are to have a Jingle that I will be the one to make it so. One might interpret this as disinterest on the part of my fellow commuters, but I secretly think they all agree that of all people, I've got the best taste. As such,  I've set out on a quest to collect the necessary decor needed to rightly display our pride of ownership.

I've kept my eyes peeled for fringe. Preferably gold but really any color will do. I'm also hunting for some red or blue fabric to bunch and cascade across the front window. This far I've only been able to acquire an old St Patty's Day garland of shamrocks. However, just today while i was rooting around the supply closet deseperately seeking a new ballpoint, I spied a box of Christmas decorations that look especially promising.  I hope this endeavor comes together.

Special thanks to Linsey for the glitter decor (the guys loved it, ha!) and thank you Avigail for the care package--I immediately broke into the Luna bars! I was especially touched by the card from Founder's Day--please pass my sincere gratitude to the rest of the DG alumnae! And Mama, I finally got your boxes the other day! THe pancake mix were an instant meal and the guys have already finished off the horchata mix! ha!

Gotta get back to work now! Talk to everyone soon!

~olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment