Saturday, February 4, 2012

a little skinny on my first days

I'm going to attempt to update this a couple times a week.  We'll see how that goes.

So, to start, we have arrived.  It is cold! And rainy! REALLY RAINY!

We had a minor setback in Germany, but we didn't complain too much.  I had an opportunity to visit the town of Tierre, Germany. On our first night about ten of us went out and had a traditional German dinner.  We decided on a chic looking cafe in the downtown area. As we strolled up, it appeared about half full with similarly aged, good-looking peeps we thought, "Sweet! We'll fit right in!" Well we fit in alright. We fit in among ourselves as we were quickly ushered and seated in the back of the restaurant alone! Whole restaurant hopping in front, non-German speaking Americans in the back.  By the service door. What nerve!

Well we had a good time anyway. We laughed and sang and told jokes and pretty much carved ourselves into the exact stereotype that was probably expected of us by the hostess. I tried spitzel for the first time, with a side of potatoes. (Every side is a potato dish! Cassie, you know exactly what I mean.) I avoided the beer though. I know, I know be in Germany and not even try the beer. Turns out German beer (un-)surprisingly smells like all other types of beer which I've never had an affinity for--so I passed. But I did partake in the German chocolate cake! Which, by the way is just called "chocolate cake" in Germany. It was delightful!

After dinner we went out looking for a futbol game. Apparently there was a big Germany versus England game and we thought it festive to do as the locals do.  When in Rome. However, none of us could really understand what was going on and there wasn't very many English-speaking peeps to converse with so, once again, we stuck out like sore thumbs.  It wasn't all for naught though, I acquired a one liter stine from the sports bar for which to drink my coffee here at work.  I realize this is overkill, but it looks really cool. :)

We finally, boarded the plane and after a short seven hour flight touched down in Kandahar, Afghanistan. I was able to talk the pilot into letting me sit up front for landing and even though it was at night, i got a pretty good lay of the land. (Well, the loadmaster loaned me his NVGs so I wasn't comepletely in the dark.) I'll update more (possibly tomorrow) on my settling in here. It's been a crazy start but things are finally sinking in. Please contine to pray for our crews, they really do deserve the extra attention.

Until next time!
~olivia


No comments:

Post a Comment